The science comedy phenomenon Festival of the Spoken Nerd are back at the Bloomsbury Theatre! After another year of sold-out shows at the Backyard Comedy Club in Bethnal Green, they’ve put together two bumper-sized “Best Of” shows featuring their favourite guests. Both shows feature Matt Parker, Steve Mould and Helen Arney, plus a different line-up each night and a huge pile of Unnecessary Detail.
An Evening of Unnecessary Detail is, in short, an event where 80% of the words in the title start with a vowel. Of the 16 unique letters in the title, 31.25% of them are used more than once. If you are not enjoying this level of detail, it's unlikely that you will enjoy the show. An Evening of Unnecessary Detail is, in short, an event where we ask enthusiasts, scientists, miscellaneous experts* and comedians to talk about whatever they want. By attending this event, you revoke all rights to complain about the level of detail they choose to do so in. An Evening of Unnecessary Detail is, in short, an event hosted by Festival of the Spoken Nerd: Matt Parker, Steve Mould and Helen Arney. Each of them have 10 letters in their names. Each show will be 10,800 seconds long. Each ticket can be bought via the links on this page. *actual experts in miscellany
Line-ups now announced!
THURSDAY 25th JULY
- A History of Broadcasting from comedian Gemma Arrowsmith
- All The Stations in Ireland with Geoff Marshall and Vicki Pipe
- Looking Glass Universe's Mithuna Yoganathan on why the sky is blue (and how to prove it)
- Lasers Etc from digital artist Seb Lee-Delisle
- Minutiae from time traveller and comedian Bec Hill
- Too much detail about rat addicts from epidemiologist Suzi Gage
- Brains, and how to use them, with comedian Ria Lina
FRIDAY 26th JULY
- Katie Steckles with her favourite shapes
- Retro pop culture dissection from Jon Harvey
- Pencils (probably) with Brian Mackenwells
- The tyranny of museum catalogues with Subhadra Das
- Kate Storrs, living her "Most Statistically Probable Day"
- Charvy Narain on the NATO phonetic alphabet
- Lasers Lasers Lasers Part 2 from Seb Lee-Delisle
Plus on both nights there’s new material and greatest hits from all of the Festival of the Spoken Nerd crew:
- Your host Matt Parker with stand-up maths disasters
- An experiment that may or may not work with Steve Mould
- Peer-reviewed comedy songs from Helen Arney
All line-ups are subject to change.
Recommended for _ages 14+_